The City of Fairfax, Virginia, offers these candle safety tips:
- Never leave a room with a candle still burning.
- Light a candle in an area far from flammable materials, such as drapes, bedding, furniture, paper or wallpaper.
- Make sure that a burning candle can't be reached by children or pets.
- Only burn a candle that is in a sturdy, non-flammable base.
- Keep the candle wick trimmed to about one-quarter of an inch.
- Don't burn candles right next to each other, near doors or windows, or on a surface that may catch fire or melt from the heat.
- Throw a candle away when the wax is down to about 2 inches from the base.
- Don't use a candle that has flammable materials (such as twigs or pinecones) inside the wax.