The National Women's Health Information Center offers these suggestions to keep the air in your home clean:
- When using chemicals such as paint or paint thinner, open the windows and keep the area well-ventilated.
- Use a humidifier or dehumidifier to keep humidity levels between 30 percent and 50 percent.
- If you use a humidifier, clean it and replace the water daily to prevent the growth of mold and mildew in the appliance.
- Use an exhaust fan in the kitchen and bathroom, and vent clothes dryers outside.
- If rugs or carpets get wet, quickly have them cleaned to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria.
- Clean your home regularly, being careful to remove dust and any other allergens.