The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this list:
- Dull or burning pain in the fingers and hands, especially after you've been holding tightly to an object for an extended period.
- Swelling and warmth in and around the joints.
- A feeling of being able to move the joints less easily.
- A feeling that the joints in your hand are grinding together.
- A feeling that your joints are loose, or not as stable as they once were.
- Cysts, or small bumps that appear around the joints of the fingers.