The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these guidelines when choosing safe toys:
- Make sure each toy is sturdy, well-made, and appropriate for your child's age.
- Don't let your baby play with toys that have sharp edges or points, or small parts.
- Make sure parts fit securely and are not loose.
- Read labels to check for safety information. Look for toys that are non-toxic, washable and hygienic.
- Don't let your baby play with any toys that are smaller than 1 3/4 inches in diameter or 2 inches long, as these may pose a choking hazard.